It's that time again! We have heralded in the New Year in our houses and as we look back over the previous year we can't help but think about what we would have done differently, what we should change about our lives. Did you know that it is reported that a form of New Years Resolutions started with the Bablonyians?! The start of a new year was full of change and new beginnings for them. It was when they planted their crops, would crown a new king, and make promises to their gods. If they were successful in keeping their promises their kids would show them favor..if not, well they didn't want to think about that possibility!
For the last several years the most common new years resolutions have been the same. And yet only 9% of the people who make resolutions actually report that they were successful. About 40% report that they don't even make it through January without giving up on their new resolutions. Why is that?! Maybe when I tell you the resolutions you will understand a little better.
11. Get a better job
10. Find the love of my life
9. Do more good deeds for others
8. Learn something new
7. Work out more often
6. Spend more time with friends/family
5. Do more exciting things
4. Quit smoking
3. Make better financial decisions
2. Life and self improvements
1. Eat healthier/lose weight
Now. all of these are excellent goals, but how do you expect to do any one of these things in a single year! No wonder people give up after a single month! The problem with these resolutions are that they are TOO big, TOO ambiguous and NOT realistic!
Although I an no expert on setting and keeping goals, I would suggest these 6 things
1. Focus on one goal at a time. Most of these goals are life changing. They are going to take a great deal of time, energy and planning to make it work--If you try to do too many things at once nothing will work out.
2. Make the goals smaller and specific. While making a goal of making better decisions is great, it is a HUGE goal. Break it up into smaller pieces. Make a plan. Make each step VERY specific. WARNING!! It might take some thought and introspection about what you really want to accomplish!
3. Make it measurable! How do you know if you are making any progress if their is not ending point? I want to lose 1 pound a week for 3 months. Great! You can measure this and track your progress. Now make steps to make it happen!
4. Make it exciting! If you are not excited about accomplishing the goal, chances are you will not be too worried about it when you fail. These are not supposed to be just another item on your to do list! To truly make it into a lifestyle change you have to be excited about it!
5. Make it realistic!! If it is something that you have tried every year and never succeeded, you might have to lower your expectations a bit.
6. Write them down! It was reported that while people talk about them they don't actually write them down. Make a list of your goals and the steps and they are going to take to make them happen and put it up where you can see it! Gym bag if it is losing weight, fridge, bathroom mirror..
Good luck everyone! Hope this helps you accomplish your goals this year!
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!